Friday, July 10, 2009

Michael Jackson and the Afterlife

In my line of work, I do a lot of writing. And thinking. And reading (and the occasional bum-wiping). Yesterday, I got an email request from my friend, Matthew Paul Turner, for some thoughts about Michael Jackson and his current afterworldly whereabouts. His friend, Jason, was seeking some input from pastors on the topic for an article in the Daily Beast:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-07-10/is-michael-in-heaven/

This is my full response to the question:

It's not up to me.

My opinion about Michael Jackson's salvation is just that: my opinion. I am not God, the author of all, and the Lord of Salvation. I am not Jesus Christ, the Messiah, who was born that we might know God in the most intimate way possible, and who died that all may come to God. I am not the Holy Spirit, which lives and abides in the promise that God will be with us always. I do not know the heart, mind or spirit of Michael Jackson - nor do I know which way the wind blows. Only God can know. It is a relief as a pastor to have the responsibility of preaching someone to heaven or condemning them to Hell off my shoulders, as these were never my duties. I am here to proclaim the good news of life in Christ, who has defeated death. I am not here to judge. God is the only judge, and I rest in assurance that God will do that job without my opinion or input.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: